Skip directly to content

Alabama Governor's Mansion

The governor's mansion, in Montgomery, Montgomery County, was built in 1907 for Gen. Robert Fulwood Ligon Jr.. The state purchased the Neo-Classical Revival home in 1950 at the suggestion of then-Gov. James "Big Jim" Folsom. His successor, Gordon Persons, was the first governor to occupy the home in January 1951. The property features a pool in the shape of the state of Alabama.
Photo courtesy of the George F. Landegger Collection of Alabama Photographs in Carol M. Highsmith's America, Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division.