Skip directly to content

USS Tuscaloosa 1941

The heavy cruiser USS Tuscaloosa (CA-37) hoists its Curtiss SOC scout observation planes aboard after a patrol while on a convoy to Iceland in September 1941. The ship served in the Atlantic and Pacific theaters during World War II. It was named for Tuscaloosa, Tuscaloosa County, where its former mast and one of its five-inch guns are displayed in Tuscaloosa Veterans Memorial Park.
Photo courtesy of the U.S. Navy, Naval Historical Center