Skip directly to content

Somerville Court House

The Federal-style courthouse in Somerville, Morgan County, is the oldest extant courthouse in Alabama, having been constructed in 1837. It served as the courthouse until 1891, when the county seat moved to Decatur, and then housed a Presbyterian academy and later a senior center. It was used as a community center for some time but is now closed pending renovations.
Photograph by Jimmy Emerson