Skip directly to content

Royal Cup Coffee Roasting Facility

A worker operates a coffee bean roaster at a facility in Tarrant, Jefferson County. The Royal Cup Coffee and Tea Company was founded in Birmingham in 1896 as Batterton Coffee Company by Henry T. Batterton. It grew in success and changed its name to Royal Cup in 1950, after the company was purchased by William E. Smith. The Smith family continues to own the company, which has now expanded to several other states and is a major importer and producer of coffee and tea.
Photograph courtesy of the Alabama Department of Archives and History