Skip directly to content

Fort Tyler

The Civil War-era Fort Tyler is located in West Point, Georgia, north of what is now Lanett, Chambers County. The fort, named for its Confederate commander Gen. Robert C. Tyler, was built on a bluff overlooking the Chattahoochee River to defend the railroad bridge connecting West Point with what was then the community of Bluffton in Alabama. Taken during the Battle of West Point on April 16, 1865, it was the last Confederate fort to be captured by Union troops in the war..
Courtesy of the Alabama Tourism Department