Skip directly to content

Fort Payne Opera House

The opera house in downtown Fort Payne, DeKalb County, is one of the oldest theaters in Alabama still used as a performance space. It was built in 1889 during a four-year period of economic boom in the town. At one point, the opera house was owned by Populist politician and playwright Milford Howard. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. A museum with exhibits related to the hosiery industry in the city is located next door.
Courtesy of the Alabama Tourism Department