Skip directly to content

Glennville Plantation Interior

The stairway of the Glennville plantation, in Russell County, was built around 1845. The photo faces toward the rear of the Greek Revival house, also known as Elmoreland for a previous owner. The house is a contributing structure to the Glennville Historic District, which contained 32 primary buildings, six cemeteries, and 27 dependent structures at the time it was inventoried in 1979 by the National Register of Historic Places. The community was established in 1835 by Methodist preacher James Elizabeth Glenn and was damaged during the Second Creek War and rebuilt afterwards.
Courtesy of the Library of Congress, Historic American Building Survey