Skip directly to content

Alpine Plantation, Talladega County

The Nathanial Welch House, or Alpine plantation, in Alpine, Talladega County, was built during the 1850s. A nearby railroad stop, and subsequently the town, reportedly took their name from the property. It was documented by the Historic American Building Survey in 1937, when this photo was taken. The L-shaped house features a two-story portico and four Doric-inspired fluted columns and a very ornate iron balustrade on the second-floor balcony. At the time of documentation, the property also had a separate kitchen and several other outbuildings. It was listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 2018.
Courtesy of the Library of Congress, Historical American Buildings Survey