Skip directly to content

Brown Chapel A.M.E. Church in Selma

Brown Chapel AME Church, Selma, Dallas County, was built in 1908 as the second home of the first African Methodist Episcopal congregation in Alabama. The congregation's original church was built in 1869 on the site and replaced with this building as resources and membership increased. The church is most notable as the headquarters for the voting-rights effort in Alabama during the civil rights movement and served as the starting point for the Selma to Montgomery March.
Courtesy of the Mobile Press-Register. All rights reserved. Used with permission.