Skip directly to content

Mobile, 1904

A streetcar travels eastward down Government Street in Mobile toward the river in this 1904 photograph by amateur photographer and railroad mechanic S. Marion Coffin. The towers on the right belong to the now-demolished Mobile County Courthouse, designed by local architect Rudolf Benz and completed in 1889. It was replaced in 1958.
Courtesy of the Doy Leale McCall Rare Book and Manuscript Library, S. Marion Coffin Collection