Skip directly to content

Tuskegee Institute Chapel ca. 1906

The chapel at Tuskegee Institute (now Tuskegee University) was designed by Robert R. Taylor, the first African American graduate from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and built with student labor in the late 1890s. It was the first building with interior electrical lights in Macon County.
Courtesy of Library of Congress